Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/ktsorg/public_html/forum/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Greetings Everyone!
KunTao Silat Forum
May 25, 2017, 02:53:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NewsLetter is in the making.  Please feel free to offer information you feel is important to those studying KTS.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Greetings Everyone!  (Read 1499 times)
James
Level 5

« on: May 18, 2014, 03:56:37 PM »

Hello Everyone! 

My name is James Clum, and I recently order the Guru certification course.  I am excited to get started with the program, and look forward to getting to know the members here more.  I will probably have a lot of questions in the future. 

James Clum
Brian Haskell
Level 5

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 04:13:50 PM »

Hi James

Welcome, glad I am not the only new guy on here.  Good luck with your pursuit.

Brian Haskell
Art Kidwell
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 04:48:37 PM »

Welcome to the KunTao Silat Forum James. I really enjoyed your acquaintance email yesterday and wonder if you would mind if I share it here?
Peace,
Art
James
Level 5

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 12:08:58 PM »

Sure.  It's okay to share it.

BTW, I just got the Guru Certification Course today in the mail.
I am just a little confused as to where to begin.  Is there a place where I can see which DVD corresponds to which level of training.  I looked at the website where I purchased the DVDs but could not see an answer to my question.  Thanks for your help everyone.  I appreciate it.

James Clum
Art Kidwell
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 12:56:05 PM »

Good morning James,
Yes, start with the Basics DVD. That is the foundational level for both Malabar and American KunTao Silat. These basics constitute the Warm up portion of classes as well. Constant Training is the core concept; building a KunTao Silat workout into your daily life. Fireside Chat also addresses the basics in a little different perspective.

The KTS Leaders are now in the process of paring down the core curriculum and isolating the variants into a better defined extra-curricular category. Sigung Aric just completed the Malabar testing checklist, so we will be sending it out to all the members in the next communication.

Thanks for sharing your questions with the KTS folks.
SigungDerric
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 12:57:05 PM »

James and Brian it is great to have you both on the forum.  In order to get the " full offering " of what AKTS has to offer, participation with your peers goes a long way.  James what area of the country do you hail from?

Derric
James
Level 5

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 01:16:03 PM »

Hii Brian!  Nice to know there are other beginners here.

I am from the Los Angeles area.

Thanks for letting me know where to begin that helps.

Thanks.

James Clum
James
Level 5

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 01:19:34 PM »

Watching Master Steve Gartin's Santa Cruz seminar DVD from the Guru Certification Course.

Passing palms.  Wow!  So many things born of this.  Can't wait to apply this.

Good stuff!

James
Art Kidwell
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 01:28:42 PM »

Greeting Guru Muda Kidwell,
Thank you for the warm welcome!  I'm very touched by the responsiveness and kindness that I am sensing from this organization.  So, I am excited to begin what I hope is a lifelong journey with Kuntao Silat. 

I started martial arts training 34 years ago and have been training ever since.  I currently teach Budo Taijutsu.  My website is http://www.azusaninjutsu.com/menu.html if you are interested in seeing more regarding my bio.

Anyways, I found some of the videos on Youtube by Master Steve Gartin.  I was very impressed by a few things.  He just seemed like a really nice guy that was extremely skilled and experienced.  I enjoyed his friendly manner, and even his choice of music for his videos strangely enough.   It seemed to me that this was an organization that was down to earth, friendly and a place that would welcome people as individuals with their own unique needs. 

Although I teach martial arts three times a week, this year has not been easy.  I was diagnosed a year ago on May 3 with rectal cancer.  Over this last year I've had radiation, chemo and surgery.  Due to God's providence, prayers of others and perhaps luck I've done well.   In addition, my knowledge of healing, nutrition, and exercise helped to some degree.  I am currently cured and finished with all treatments. 

I am strong and fearless and not afraid to embark upon new journeys. I always want to learn new things and take the place of a beginner learning something different.   

When I saw Kuntao Silat recently I noticed that the movements of the practitioners were remarkably similar to the Budo Taijutsu in general but even more similar to the way that I train in particular because of my own background in the arts.  I did however, notice that there are certain things the Kuntao Silat does that I like that are completely unique and different.  I want to add these things to what I do.   

With regards to my goals-I just want to get the Guru Certification program and check it out first.  If it is like what I think it will be, then I will be very thrilled to pour over the information, learn it and start applying with my students.  Thank you again for taking the time to give me a warm welcome.
James Clum
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: