Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/ktsorg/public_html/forum/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Importance of Hand Position
KunTao Silat Forum
February 25, 2018, 12:53:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NewsLetter is in the making.  Please feel free to offer information you feel is important to those studying KTS.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Importance of Hand Position  (Read 1058 times)
Sihing73
Level 5

« on: October 18, 2011, 11:19:24 PM »

Hello,

I was training and Guru Derric pointed out the importance of a few things and I figured I would share my thoughts here. Not that I have that much to offer, but it has been quiet lately  Wink

When doing the triangle exercise and the dragon walking one puts the hand to the side of the neck. I wanted to see if everyone understands the reason for doing so. Also, when doing some of the drills the hand again is placed in front of the face\neck. In both instances the palm is facing away from the body.

My questions to provoke thought is why place the hand where we do and why have the palm facing outward? Since I come from a Wing Chun background I am more used to presenting my hands in what we call a Man Sau, one extended in front of the body with the other also in front but about the distance of the lead arms elbow. Why don't we do something similar in AKTS, the hand is placed close to the body not extended from it.

The other thing which I have been thinking about is how we extend our hands. In Wing Chun we punch in a series called chain punching. In doing so the punching hand is retracted while the rear hand extends Outward over the top of the retracting hand. However, in AKTS we learn to extend from underneath of the retracting hand\arm. Consider the Silat Punching exercise as well as in Satu.

Again, a discussion as to why we do this. Look at most of the other arts and consider what the reason for us to come from underneath instead of from over the top.

Looking forward to hearing others thoughts and learning their perspective.

Peace,

Dave

Wherever my opponent stands they are in my space.

Dave
GuruAric
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 01:18:06 AM »

Dave,

Let me try to answer you the best I can. My apologies for the long awaited reply.

Aric (see below in red)

Hello,

I was training and Guru Derric pointed out the importance of a few things and I figured I would share my thoughts here. Not that I have that much to offer, but it has been quiet lately 

When doing the triangle exercise and the dragon walking one puts the hand to the side of the neck. I wanted to see if everyone understands the reason for doing so.
Dave, this has a few reasons for doing so.  However, the main purpose is to cover the most important asset you have; your head! You drop to a lower position than your opponent and need some protection from up above.

Also, when doing some of the drills the hand again is placed in front of the face\neck. In both instances the palm is facing away from the body.
The palm facing toward the victim, er... opponent comes from the bagua aspect of the internal arts that are intertwined with this chaotic art of ours.  It is usually a palm strike or maybe a grab.

My questions to provoke thought is why place the hand where we do and why have the palm facing outward? Since I come from a Wing Chun background I am more used to presenting my hands in what we call a Man Sau, one extended in front of the body with the other also in front but about the distance of the lead arms elbow. Why don't we do something similar in AKTS, the hand is placed close to the body not extended from it. We do, occasionally.  However, consider that many arts consider that sort of thing a 'ready' stance.  Our ready stance is when we are drinking a beer at the bar and an awful sudden punch/bottle/chair, etc comes at great velocity toward your head.  We spring to counter from any stance. Does that help? Keep your knees bent and your eyes peeled.  The one opponent you may think you are fighting could be 3.

The other thing which I have been thinking about is how we extend our hands. In Wing Chun we punch in a series called chain punching. In doing so the punching hand is retracted while the rear hand extends Outward over the top of the retracting hand. However, in AKTS we learn to extend from underneath of the retracting hand\arm. Consider the Silat Punching exercise as well as in Satu.

Excellent topic!  We do that simply because we have a simple motto. Sorry to quote Sigung Chas here, but in his words roughly 'You worked hard to get inside. Why would you retreat your hand out of their space?  When you are in, stay in. ' If we pull our hand out of their open space, it is because we are drawing our knife, pulling an arm in for a grapple, etc.

Again, a discussion as to why we do this. Look at most of the other arts and consider what the reason for us to come from underneath instead of from over the top.

Looking forward to hearing others thoughts and learning their perspective.

Peace,

Dave
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: