Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/ktsorg/public_html/forum/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
ChiGung Video
KunTao Silat Forum
February 25, 2018, 12:53:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NewsLetter is in the making.  Please feel free to offer information you feel is important to those studying KTS.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ChiGung Video  (Read 3378 times)
Art Kidwell
Administrator

« on: November 05, 2010, 06:54:35 PM »

Folks have been asking about a lot of things, including Chi Gung. 

Smiley There is actually quite a bit of footage on Chi Gung available.  I'm isolating those pieces now and want to make them available to the Distance Learning Practitioners as quickly as possible, since it's going to take me a while to assemble them into a DVD.

So, all the DLP Folks can now see one Chi Gung session with Uncle Bill.  Just go to the DLP video site: www.kuntaosilat.org, click on the Flash Page, enter the username and password and slide down to Chi Gung GC12. 

More to come on various topics.  Shocked

Happy Training,

Art
Mas Jonty
Level 5

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 09:09:26 PM »

I may be asking a silly question, but how does one go about getting a login and password for the flash site?
Art Kidwell
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 09:22:56 PM »

Roll Eyes Silly you Mas Jonty,
It came to you by email the day you signed up for the Distance Learning Program.  But, in CyberSpace, such important information could be intercepted by SPAMbots and Nuked without regard.

I'll send it to you by personal email.

Jest kidding,  Wink

Art
Mas Jonty
Level 5

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 09:33:22 PM »

Haha!
Steven Vance
Level 5

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 11:51:42 PM »

Hmmm...I tried logging in there with what I thought was my login and password, and it keeps telling me I'm wrong...?

Steven
Mas Jonty
Level 5

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 05:13:47 PM »

Well, we never claimed to be black belts in technology.
Art Kidwell
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 08:37:18 AM »

Grin Fortunately we have some youthful practitioners skilled in both and we can look to them for adult supervision when our TechFu fails us.  Huh

Seriously though, Elijah has demonstrated an eagerness to help with tech-type computer stuff, although I'm sure there is a better term for it.  Basic technoskills for those participating in the Peer Video Review should include up/down loading videos as attachments in the Teacher's Forum.  Testing for advancement toward the Practitioner/Guru Muda level would include uploading to the testing site by FTP.

I know all that sounds simple for the younger practitioners, but it can be a real challenge for some of us more mature practitioners who kinda' grew up before computers.  Roll Eyes

Maybe we could get a little FAQ started?  Wink
Art
Steven Vance
Level 5

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 09:01:55 AM »

A FAQ sounds great to me.  I believe I'm relatively competent with several different kinds of swords, and I know what to do if my confidence turns out to be unfounded and I chop my own foot off, but as far as computers are concerned, I feel like I'm in about 1st grade.  Lol.  The scary thing is that in my ICU I have a reputation amongst the nurses for being one of the people to go to if there's a computer issue.  If only they knew...

With the correct login info, I was able to log in last night, Art.  Thanks.  Now I just have to figure out why my computer was having troubles playing it.  (I'm pretty sure it was the computer, and not the clip)  Sigh.  I'll be glad when I can replace this one next year.  Its getting old and tired...

Steven
Art Kidwell
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 09:20:32 AM »

Roll Eyes  Sorry!  More TechFu stuff.

The file is full resolution and HUGE, so it takes some time on slower internet connections to buffer.

Just place it on hold until the blue bar gets way over toward the right.  Then hit the play button.

Always something  Roll Eyes
Steven Vance
Level 5

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 12:08:16 PM »

I was trying to watch it on our laptop (craptop?), through a wireless modem, and it was not having a good evening.  No worries.
Elijah Gartin
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 11:10:53 PM »

Good Evening,

Was in the middle of an advanced business statistics case study for real estate, and wanted to take a break, so I thought I'd chime in here about the techy stuff.  I think a FAQ would be a great idea, so what I'll try to do is compile a list of questions from the forum and the other various emails I've received for these questions.

I'm not sure what program everyone else is using to edit and compress their training videos, but I've been using Adobe Premiere Pro and Media Encoder CS5.  I've found that encoding the video in MP4 (H.264) has allowed for smaller video sizes while hanging on to enough quality to be watchable.  Some other good formats are MPEG2, MPEG4, and low resolution AVI and WMV files will do.  Try to get the file size under 25MB.  If you can do that, you can even attach your video to emails.  Definitely keep it under 100MB in size.

Anyway, I'm not sure if that addressed any questions, but I best be getting back to my case study.

Peace.

-Elijah
Art Kidwell
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2010, 11:27:43 AM »

Hi Elijah,

You're right on target with paragraph two.  Some folks are not acquainted with attaching files and stuff like that; so that part of the Peer Video FAQ should probably come early on.

Obviously, even more folks don't know how to edit video, but that would turn into a real chore to teach each program and how to use it.  Your short list of file formats and sizes is exactly what I think is needed before they try to upload.

Right now, let's focus on the PeerVideo program and start a Q&A that can evolve into a FAQ.  Huh

Thoughts?

Art
Elijah Gartin
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2010, 05:33:18 PM »

Right now, let's focus on the PeerVideo program and start a Q&A that can evolve into a FAQ.  Huh

I couldn't agree with you more on this.  I'm semi-off this next week due to Thanksgiving Break (Happy Thanksgiving everyone), but I'll still be tutoring and trying to get ahead in my classes.  The semester is coming to the end I have large papers and tests to finish and prep for.  In the time that I'm not doing those things, I hope to make some progress here and clear up as many questions as possible until I can put more time towards making a more streamlined video sharing application.  I'll talk with you, Art, offline about some of the things I need to start to implement anything more complex than this primitive system we have in place.

I also want to thank Jason, I watched your videos, and read some of the reviews, and I must say you are motivating me and making me smile seeing the effort that you're putting into the system.  With this peer sharing program, I think we will see activity increase as well as progress and camaraderie amongst our fellow AKTS brethren.  It was a wonderful idea, and for that I thank you.

Peace,

Elijah
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: